- "The world doesn't disappear when you close your eyes, does it?"
Memento has a unique way of telling Leonard's story: the film is divided into alternate colour and black and white sequences. The colour sequences chronologically take place backwards, while the black and white sequences move forward through time. The end of the film sees the black and white and colour sequences match up in the chronological timeline.
- Guy Pearce as Leonard Shelby (as "Leonard")
- Carrie-Anne Moss as Natalie
- Joe Pantoliano as Teddy
- Mark Boone Junior as Burt
- Russ Fega as Waiter
- Jorja Fox as Catherine Shelby (as "Leonard's Wife")
- Stephen Tobolowsky as Sammy Jankis (as "Sammy")
- Harriet Sansom Harris as Mrs Jankis
- Thomas Lennon as Doctor
- Callum Keith Rennie as Dodd
- Kimberly Campbell as Call girl (as "Blonde")
- Marianne Muellerleile as Emma (as "Tattooist")
- Larry Holden as Jimmy Grantz (as "Jimmy")
- Buzz Visconti as Motel Guest